11/08/2006

Accumulating Disease

I have spent the last couple of weeks making piles of things to go to Goodwill, the dump, for a future garage sale, and to be sold on Ebay or Craigslist.

One side of the garage is full of dump stuff. I sold my first eight miscellaneous household goods on Ebay and have another five up for auction now. These are things like a fancy coffee grinder, vintage cookbooks, a stovetop espresso machine, etc. I'm pretty pleased with how the selling has gone so far. I even have someone coming by on Friday about a chair and ottoman I posted on Craigslist. I plan on keeping the money separate from our regular money so we can see how we do overall.

The most worrisome chore that I have had on my mind is our books. We have a lot of books...I'm not sure how many but probably at least a thousand. Quite a few are first editions, and some have significant value.

I downloaded "turbolister" software from Ebay and have spent the last few days getting a plan together for how to manage selling them. It is a time consuming project but I think it will probably make for the best return I can hope for. I have thirty-five set to go up for auction this weekend...I am excited to see how they do.

I think I have learned my lesson for good - that accumulating stuff is a terrible disease!

-Nancy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just want to thank you for your blog. You and your husband have a lot in common with us. We have a lot of things and a huge number of books. Reading about your decision making is very helpful. We have already found our city of choice--Puebla!