8/03/2007

One countdown done, one to go

This is a post from the usually silent member of the blog team. Those of you who read us regularly know that there has been a countdown clock on the upper right area of the screen for almost a year, tracking the days until my retirement. Well, there are no days left. I have just come home after my last day of full-time gainful employment ever. I am in a bit of a daze, but I feel great. I have a great partner and a new adventure ahead. I am a happy man.

Now it is time to countdown to moving day, that one will be much shorter.

One of the stated purposes of our blog is to share our process for preparing to move to Mexico full-time. It has gone pretty smoothly so far, we have bought a house in Mazatlan, sold our house and most of our possessions here. There is one simple secret to our success, and that is a good project manager.



Paul leaving for his last day of work.

Nancy has worked on this full-time since January and has been in charge of everything, and she has done a phenomenal job. So I recommend that if a couple is doing a move together, decide which one is the most practical and organized and agree that they are in charge. Discussion and disagreement are fine, but the project manager gets final say. It has worked for us, and I am really grateful to Nancy for all her hard work.

Hasta Luego,
Paul

5 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

Congratulations on your retirement Paul. We hope that you enjoy it as much as we are enjoying ours. Have fun with the rest of our chores before the big move.
Brenda and Roy

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul & Nancy,

Congratulations on the retirement thing - it is a challenge in itself adjusting to that.

I like the idea of the manager - I am going to get Anita right on that as soon as she wakes up ;-)

We are packing up - you know the drill.

Saludos - John & Anita

Joy Keaton said...

Congrats on your last day of work, Paul!

I hope you two will still post once you've moved!

Billie Mercer said...

Congratulations. Retirement is great. You are going to love living in Mexico. I just know it.

Paul said...

Thanks for all your good wishes. It feels great so far, and we aren't even in Mexico yet.
Paul