2/27/2007

There's a lot to do!




Hopefully our readers will not feel too cranky about the gaps between posts lately. There is a lot to do to get ready to move - and at the end of the day sometimes I can't even think about it for another second....but of course I do!

I don't just think about the move, but live and breath it all day and dream about it at night. I am just so excited to be into our final six months!

So, in lieu of excuses, I'll detail a few of the things that have me distracted from writing blogs, reading blogs, and commenting on blogs:

  • I've put 125 cds and books on Amazon. Malcolm had suggested this for the piles of cds I have to sell. I checked all of them to see which ones were commanding higher prices and selected about 75 that were over about $8. A few were collectibles, and I am glad I checked them out first. Thanks, Malcolm! So far I've sold about 12. I also put on a bunch of books - mostly first edition modern mysteries. After I see how they do I'll decide if I put more of our books on. But in going through all the books two huge boxes are now in the garage sale area.

  • I seriously slashed and burned my yarn stash. I sorted and ziplocked and even priced everything for the garage sale. I had 18 - 15 quart plastic tubs of nice yarn and I have reduced that to four! I believe that will do me for the next six months.

  • I put a bunch of items on Craigslist. So far I have been stood up by the person who was coming over to get the saltwater aquarium, but I've had a couple of calls on the antique bookcases. I believe one guy is trying to scam me on some chairs so I probably won't respond to him.

I've also been enjoying the present by taking the dogs for a nice walk every day. I used to go just across the highway and down the hill to walk along the water but lately there have been some semi-aggressive dogs that follow us around and make me nervous. So for the last two days I've gone to the State Park two miles down the road and walked them in amongst the second growth cedars and maples. Today there were wonderful sunstreams filtering through the branches that made my heart sing.

Paul has always had an easier time letting go of things then I do - and I sometimes have felt sorry for him that he doesn't have mementos from his childhood or from when his daughter was little. But I have been too far the other direction - being the person who would ALWAYS want to keep the family thing "just because." Not so any more. I plan on keeping only the things that give me real pleasure or utility.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I can't imagine all the things you have to do, it must feel so overwhelming at times. I admire your positive attitude and organizational skills. Of course, the reward is going to be amazing!

Anonymous said...

I'm going through packing now too. Moving from one house to another here in Merida, but moving for the first time in five years. Its amazing how much stuff we brought down with us and how much we have accumulated. My husband, too, has an easy time letting go of things, but its so hard for me. But really, how much memorabilia can a person handle? I'm working on paring it down...it's not easy. Buena suerte to us both :-)