8/10/2008

Odd Food Day

Hot days change the way you think about food.

It started out kind of normally for me with an espresso and a piece of toast with peanut butter.

We went to Mega for groceries mid-morning. So, for lunch I had a croissant a la Mega and a bit of Watermelon-Jicama-Mint salad that I made with our newly purchased produce. And a bag of gomitas, courtesy of Grocery Shopping Day.

Dinner was a half of a cucumber and about 20 almonds. Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream for dessert...don't even ask what that cost, or how far it had to travel to get here!

Around nine this evening I made palomitas (popcorn) popped on the stove, in oil, with red pepper flakes added to the oil. And a glass of wine.

A weird food day, but a good day!

4 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Sounds like you covered the basic food groups -- or food clusters. I, on the other hand, just brushed my teeth with a prescription lotion -- for external use. So, I may have topped you for odd foods. BLAGH!

jennifer said...

Its so true! Food does change when its 90 degrees in your kitchen.

For breakfast, I added some extra tomato broth to some leftover tortilla soup, poached an egg in it, and called it good. For lunch, I ate a half a sleeve of Polvorones (orange cookies). For dinner, Chuck and I shared a huge artichoke with saffron dipping sauce. Sounds fancy, right? Well, for a late night snack, we had a hot dog and cookies 'n' cream ice cream.

Islagringo said...

LOL! We call these "grazing" days around here. Everybody gets to fix and eat whatever they want that day. No set menu, no carb watching, just whatever you fancy.

I, too, only pop popcorn on the stovetop. Great tip about adding the pepper flakes to the oil. Gonna try it!

Sans said...

You should have seen me the day we were in Wal-Mart here and I saw the Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey for the first time. (YES, it can be found at Wal-Mart, but only until recently!!) I was like a statue pointing at the freezer and all I could do was grunt in some sort of primal pleasure. David figured it out pretty quickly and grabbed a couple of cartons and threw them in the cart, all I can say is that I was just in some sort of culinary lust/shock. Not that I have not grown to LOVE coconut ice cream. It's awesome!